Tweaking, Fluffing, and Trying to Make Things Fabulous

Thursday, October 28, 2010

copy-cat dresser

I tend to like the word borrowed more than stole... but to be perfectly honest I flat out stole this idea from one of my FAVORITE Blogs, Young House Love!

Let me back up a wee bit... remember how incredibly excited I was to find this thrift store dresser a few weeks back for 10 tiny dollars??

Well, I was!  I knew I wanted to do something special with her but wasn't really sure what that would be...so I took to my computer and started to get ideas from some of my favorite blogs.  That's when I found Sherry and Jon's re-make of "almost" the same dresser.  Here is their after pic...

NOT MINE:)  Inspiration from Young House Love!
I probably shouldn't have posted that picture cause lets be honest, mine is not even close to that good... so go ahead and lower your standards a little bit.  A little bit more.  K.  Here is my re-make...

So after looking over my cheap-o dresser I decided that the veneer was too thin to sand and paint...so I had to move to option 2: spray paint.  I love me some spray paint but lets be real...espresso is a hard color to grasp from paint.  Regardless, I picked up some Rustoleum spray paint in espresso and got to work.  After sanding and a few coats this is what I ended up with:


Shiny, huh?  So, is it the same as the inspiration piece?  Not exactly...but the brown is close--just missing the pretty wood grain.  Once it dried I moved onto the white top.  Here it is after three coats:


Sorry for the odd yellow-ish pictures... I cant decide if its my camera or if it is because I am taking pictures at night and using lamps for light (KATE--- a little advice please).  

So... what do you think?  Not spot on but a close replica right?!?  :) For about $20.00 total this was a makeover that was def worth it to me! 

She is currently sitting in our guest bedroom, which is in need of some TLC.  With the dresser done I am ready to tackle the rest....moving onto a fun comforter, some wall art, and some accessories.  Stay tuned:) 

Carolyn


1 comment: