Tweaking, Fluffing, and Trying to Make Things Fabulous

Saturday, November 13, 2010

I Got Benched

Last Sunday was my lucky day!  I guess is wasn't THAT lucky-- I didn't win a million dollars or anything, BUT I did get an AMAZING find at the thrift store that just so happened to be EXACTLY what I wanted!   You all remember when I posted about the lady that made a kitchen table bench out of IKEA cabinet tops right?  Well if not... you are slacking on reading my posts just as much as I am slacking on writing them :)  

Anywho-- I LOVE the idea of a bench as seats for a kitchen table but I didn't exactly want to spend tons of money on a bench.  Enter: Goodwill.  I haven't been there in FOREVER because the one near my house tends to be kind of junky-- on a whim I stopped in and am SO glad I did!  Sitting right near the back of the store was the dirtiest storage bench you have seen.  I got over my initial thoughts of "ewww gross" and started to look it over.  So what that it had a broken clasp on the bench top which makes the top look a little off-- I am not a perfectionist so no worries!  Besides the broken clasp and the really dirty fabric cover it was perfect!  I took a look at the price-- $20.00-- and I was SOLD!  

Here she is all natural-- pre bath...





LOVE some storage!  


This is after the fabric was taken off.  I was kind of worried that it would be gross underneath and I would have to re-foam- but it was in perfect condition!  When I was lifting the piece to move it I found a good ol' IKEA tag on the bottom!

Here she is after a LOT of spray and wash and some MAJOR bleach action.  So pretty:)  You can see where the hinge is a little off--






What do you all think?  Are you fans of the "random bench instead of chair look" or do you prefer everything to be even-Steven?   

The great thing is that I can fit at least three people on this bench instead of one person in the chair that it replaced.  What do you guys think of adding pillows?  Its not a very wide bench so I am unsure of how they would fit BUT there is definitely the ability to lean some pillows against the wall. 

Off to hit up the thrift store AGAIN today-- its really an addiction people.. wish me luck :-)

Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. I love a bench at the dining table! Looks great! I have one at my dining table! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! Let Marc have a look at the clasp next time we are over, might be a super simple fix!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leslie! Ash-- I may have to take you up on that offer!!

    ReplyDelete