Tweaking, Fluffing, and Trying to Make Things Fabulous

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

finagling a rug

Eureka!  I feel like I have hit the jackpot of ideas!  So, you know how I have been dreaming of a striped rug?  You know the beautiful one below that is $890.00 and WAY out of my budget?


Well.. I was checking out IKEA.com and had a beyond brilliant idea (or a really stupid idea if it fails)!

They sell this rug for $12.99..yup that's it!  Its much smaller, only 5 x 3 compared to the above 8x10 but what if I bought two and sewed them (or lets be real, placed them) together and made it a 5 x 6 for only $26.00? Or what if I got three and made it a 5 x 9 for $39.00?  That's about as thrifty as it gets, right?
Just as I was contemplating the idea I remembered reading a blog about someone who painted their jute rug with a chevron pattern.  After a little searching I found it!  Check out what Our Humbled Abowed did!
Pretty fantastic if you ask me!

So what do you think?  The rug would go under my kitchen table so it would be mostly covered.  Ikea has a 8x10 jute rug for $90.00 that I could attempt to paint or I could go with the side by side rugs OR I could stop being silly and wait until I strike it rich or until the rug of my dreams goes on sale!  Decisions, Decisions!

Carolyn

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the chevron rug, and the idea of buying 2-3 and just sticking them together! I am painting some chevron stripes on a wall in my living room to go with my new branding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHH!!! I can't wait to see the new chevron striped wall-- that is going to look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for talking about my chevron rug! I have to warn you, it is time consuming. Another option I have seen is to buy a light, neutral rug and use dye to make a pattern. Just a thought... I do think the IKEA rug idea would work, too, so you really can't go wrong.

    Can't wait to see what you choose!
    Amanda
    Our Humble A{Bowe}d

    ReplyDelete