Tweaking, Fluffing, and Trying to Make Things Fabulous

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Proposal

Guess what today is?  Me and my hubby's three year wedding anniversary! I thought in light of the occasion I would share the story of our proposal!  

Get ready---I am loooooong winded!  BUT I promise the story is very sweet...a little sad...but very sweet :-)

The Background
Dan and I met during our sophomore year in college and became friends during our junior year- we didn't actually go to the same school but we went to schools that are really close together and ended up meeting at a friends party.  We were friends.  Just friends.  No joke. I know everyone says it but this is the honest to goodness truth.  There was no funny business here…just really good friends!  After graduating college in 2002 we stayed really close--always talking on the phone and hanging out- again still friends:)  In 2003 all that changed when we went camping and Dan decided to kiss me RIGHT after kissing another girl- classy right?  We spent the next year trying to figure out what we were..friends?  More than friends?  At some point in 2003 we got our act together and started dating.  After 4 years of dating I was ready to have a  big fat shiny diamond on my hand.  

Fast forward to Christmas eve 2006.  Dan and I had our normal ritual of driving around to look at Christmas lights, opening presents, and then heading to my moms to spend the night on Christmas eve.  I was almost 100% sure that he was going to ask.  He HAD to.  I was actually SO sure that I bought him a Movado watch cause I figured if I got a diamond he should get a good gift too.  Ahh..silly girl.    So anyways- we went out looking at Christmas lights and I was ready.  I knew he was going to ask me as we drove around..I mean, it was the most perfect scene and every moment that he looked at me I was thinking.. "OMG!!  This is it".  It didn't happen. So then we drove back to our townhouse to open presents.  This was my next opportunity and I was ready. He gave me a few gifts and then pulled out a small little box from behind the tree.  This WAS my moment.  I knew it!!!  I carefully unwrapped the paper to find a small black box…a ring box…MY ring box.  I took a deep breath and opened the box up- tears in my eyes… and found…

Diamond earrings.  Earrings.  Not a ring, earrings.  I was crushed.  I know it sounds crazy...who wouldn't want diamond earrings?  I'll tell you who...a girl who is expecting a diamond ring!  I put my big girl panties on and said thank you--mustered a little bit of excitement and then went outside, called my friend and cried.  

The Proposal
We headed to my moms house and spent the night.  We were driving to his parents first thing in the morning and then going back to my moms for Christmas afternoon with my entire family.  We got up pretty early, got dressed and were about to head out.  Dan was in our family room watching TV and asked me to watch something real quick.  I ran down stairs and went to sit in my dads recliner chair when I saw a gift there.  It was a medium sized box so I pushed it aside and sat down.  Dan walked over, pulled the gift that I was now half sitting on and said, "this is for you".  For me?  I was confused.  It was early, sheesh!  So anyways I really wasn't thinking... I opened the gift quickly and pulled out a stuffed animal cow.  Oh my goodness THIS WAS MY MOMENT.  Dan got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife. 

The Significance of the Cow
To truly understand the importance of the cow I have to take you back to 1999 (or 2000...Chrissy, when did you get married??).  Anyways-- In 1999ish my now-brother-in-law Brian proposed to my oldest sister Chrissy.  Throughout the engagement my daddy used to joke that he wanted a equal trade for my sister---a cow like the olden days.  So at the rehearsal dinner Brian stood up and told the group that he had a gift for my dad in "exchange" for Chrissy.  My dad opened the BIGGEST stuffed animal cow you have ever seen.  He was tickled pink.  He thought it was the funniest thing ever:)  I love that memory...

Fast forward to May 2, 2003- the day my dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer.  Now in  an effort to make this the happy posting that I would like to it be I will spare you details but just want to throw in that my dad was the BEST dad in the entire world.  I know many say it--but it is the gods-honest truth.  Anyways--back to the COW.  Almost 9 months to the day that he was diagnosed my dad passed away.  Before he passed away my sister Katie's boyfriend, Jason came over one night with a backpack on and asked to talk to my dad alone.  We all knew what was about to happen... about 20-30 minutes later we joined them upstairs to see that my dad was sitting with Jason and TWO cows.  Why two?  Cause he couldn't find a cow as big as Brian's so he decided to give my dad two of them when he asked permission to marry Katie (typical Jason...always has to one up you:)).  Due to the timing of everything the proposal came much later...


When Dan asked my mom if he could propose to me he gave my mom and my little brother each a stuffed animal cow.  I love that he understood the significance and made it a part of my proposal:)  On a side note... Dan only wishes it was my dad that he had to ask.. my mom can be a tough cookie:)  


Anyways- that is the story of the cow and why it is so important to our family:)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DAN!!  XXOO!!

Wanna see some honeymoon pics? Here you go!

This is the ONLY wedding pic I have on my camera... otherwise I would have to upload them and who
wants to do that right now??  This is after the wedding--sitting on the hotel floor... classy gal huh?


Look at me all athletic!  We went hiking in St. Lucia:)
XO

Carolyn 

5 comments:

  1. Carolyn~ Mike tells that story often and everytime it gets me, and makes me jealous that you had a romantic proposal. Happy Anniversary!
    p.s. your blog is saved as a favorites on our computer and whenever I am tied down with mason i usually read your blogs, if we had money there would be lots of spurcing up going on in our house.~ Allie Janney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Yay--glad you like:) And good to know Mike actually listens when I tell him a story--i'm never really sure! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary guys! It is such a great proposal story. PS Hot honeymoon pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful engagement story :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, I am sitting here at work with chills on my arms! I love you guys! :) Looking forward to seeing you this weekend xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete