Tweaking, Fluffing, and Trying to Make Things Fabulous

Monday, October 18, 2010

A tale of two chairs

Wasn't this weekend beautiful?!? Well, I wouldn't really know...while you all may have spent your weekend playing outside in the gorgeous fall weather I chose to spend my time walking aimlessly through thrift stores looking for a bargain!  I am pretty sure I hit the jackpot on Sunday. Seriously.  Here's the story...about three weeks ago I visited my most favorite thrift store ever and saw a set of four chairs that I fell in "like" with.  Sure they were good solid chairs but where would I put all four of them?  Did I want to spend $50.00 on the set?  The cost came out to $12.50/chair but for chairs I really didn't need it seemed a little iffy.  But quickly my little crush turned into a for real obsession.  I thought about these stupid chairs all the time.  It was seriously a little ridiculous. 


Fast forward to Sunday at noon (I know it was 12 on the dot cause they opened at 12 and I was the loser waiting at the door when the lady finally let me in).  Feel free to judge...I am judging myself.  Anyhow, the lovely manager opened the door and the first words out of her mouth were sheer music to my ears "all furniture is 50% off".  OMG!!!  This was my LUCKY day!!  So I quickly ran over to my chairs and said, "I am taking these...should I bring them to the counter or will you make sure no one takes them?"  She looked around and said, "honey...your the only one here...I think your OK".  Only a little embarrassing.  So I finished my shopping and decided that I really only needed two of them so I asked in my kindest voice if I could purchase two of them, instead of the set of 4.  She paused so I quickly added in, "well, if you really cant sell me two then I will buy the four for $25.00 and donate the other two back to you".  Killed them with kindness, no joke.  They thought I was SO stinkin sweet that they ended up selling me the two chairs at 50% off the cost for two of them.  $12.50 took both home.  



What do you think?  Do you love them?  Did I build them up too much and completely underwhelm you?  Shoot-- I really need to work on that.  Well I like them!  Guess what I am doing with them?  Painting the legs (of course) and I am going to attempt to re-upholster them (although I actually do like the fabric but it is dirty) and then I am going to use them as the "head" chairs at my dining room table.  I have seen that done a lot and think it is genius!  Lets just hope I don't mess them up too bad. 

Did anyone else find any deals this weekend?

Carolyn 

4 comments:

  1. OMG! I loove them and I might be the loser that shows up for the other 2. Can you please take me to your favorite store? And tell me where you are finding your fabrics these days??? Total Score Carol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them, too- really cute! I also love the idea of using them as head chairs- I am totally stealing that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of like the fabric on the chairs if you paint the legs. Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I LOVE the fabric but they are REALLY dirty and ripped :( so sad! Ash--if you want them, let me know...ill pick them up for you!

    ReplyDelete