Tweaking, Fluffing, and Trying to Make Things Fabulous

Monday, November 1, 2010

Cornice headboard

I am not sure if I am committing a major style crime but I have to confess that I do not have 1 set of window treatments up in this house... I know, crazy, right?  It's not that I am against them...cause I'm not, it's just that I think it is equally as pretty with out them.  There is a point here, I promise....

I went thrifting this weekend with my mom, sister, and niece and found a cornice for dirt cheap...$5.00!  I wasn't 100% sold because like I said, I don't have any window treatments up in my house and there was only 1-single window cornice.  Realistically there was only 1 room it could go in- the room my sweet little niece sleeps in when she stays over since that is the only room in the house with 1 single window.  I decided to take the plunge and see how it turned out... I'm crazy like that...

Here she is.. nice but a little too ornate for my taste.




I got out my staple gun and some fabric that I purchased a few months back on a MAJOR clearance.  They were selling a yard for $2.99 so I purchased all of the fabric they had.... 5 yards.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I knew a project would come along:) 

Ripped all the fabric off... there were a TON of staples!



Here she is naked as a jaybird!


I laid the fabric out on my island and cut around the cornice..enough fabric to make sure the entire thing was covered.  The rest was pretty easy!  Just pulled the fabric tight and started stapling on the inside.  Here is one of the corners.  Neatness clearly does not count:) 


        

       
    

Here she is ALL finished!


So this is the not so fantastic part of the story... I was super proud of my work...showed my husband and explained to him about 15 times what a cornice is  (he still doesn't get it) and then ran it upstairs to put her on the wall above the window.  When I got up there I realized that it is about two inches too narrow and it doesn't fit around the window frame. UGH!!!!! Way to go smarty pants... would have been MUCH smarter to check that before spending an hour on this project.  It's OK though.. this girl has got a plan B.  I think we are getting a twin bed for our second guest room and if we do- this pretty little thing will be the headboard:) Until then she will sit all by herself in an empty bedroom.  

I have about 4 more yards of this fabric...what else should I do with it???

Carolyn 



5 comments:

  1. Okay I'm gonna be honest- the entire time you were talking about a cornice I was wondering what the hell that was :) Now I know!
    It looks super cute- I think it would make an awesome headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha..too funny! Thanks Chantal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what room will you hang it? i say add some matching pillows :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha it doesn't fit. Oh Carolyn I'm sorry, but thrilled you'll get to use it as a headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess--the first room to the right at the top of the stairs...its our smallest bedroom. ..definitely love the ideas of adding pillows- good call!

    Cherlyn-- it was quite the moment of defeat!

    ReplyDelete